So I’m also trying to learn a bit about programming & I’ve decided to start with Python. I did some Java back in college and I can do a little powershell scripting, but I’m basically starting from scratch. Here’s the list of things I’ve done so far, ranked by efficacy:
- Coursera’s Programming for Everybody (Python) class. This is hands down the best MOOC I found out there, it gives you a great basic-to-intermediate overview of programming.
- Codeacademy’s Python track – this is a good follow up to #1 as some of the lessons bounce around a bit.
- Al Sweigart has published a lot of really good beginner material on his website Invent with Python.
- Beginner books that I’ve been reading
- Invent your Own Computer Games with Python by Al Sweigart
- Python Crash Course by Eric Matthes
- Programming by Head First Labs – this is a basic programming class that starts with the fundamentals. It’s taught using Python 3 (which is why I got it) but it’s definitely for beginners and not a “I know how to program just teach me Python” book.
- Intermediate books
- Python Playground: Geeky Projects for the Curious Programmer by Mahesh Venkitachalam – very fun projects (especially if you have a Pi or Arduino!) of varying degrees of difficulty
- Python Network Programming Cookbook – this is a book of programs to help you if you spend your days not only programming but also working with network related tasks & issues.
- PythonProgramming.Net is another great site, and I’m doing the Python controlled robot project. I’ve got the GoPiGo up and running using keyboard controls (WASD), now I need to:
- Set the camera up for remote viewing
- Connect the nerf rocket launcher
- Automate the GoPiGo so that it has a “Patrol Mode”
- Start playing with the facial recognition stuff
If you have any other “must have” recommendations for learning programming in general or Python in specific let me know in the comments 🙂